Caprese Salad

I was first introduced to Caprese salad by my cousin P, when we visited him in Germany. Since then I am in love with it and I make it a point to make it at least once in a month. It is also called Insalata Caprese or Salad of Capri. It is made of mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, basil leaves, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. As P pointed out, the salad reflects the colours of the Italian flag!!! It is very easy to prepare or rather, assemble and it tastes good too. 

Caprese salad is prepared with mozzarella cheese (preferably made of buffalo milk). I prepared mine using Bocconcini cheese, which are like mini mozzarella. 


The quantity of the ingredients in the recipe can vary as per your taste preference. I prefer more oil and pepper in my recipe and less basil leaves. 

Ingredients - 

8 bocconcini balls cut into halves
6 cherry tomatoes cut into halves
5-6 small leaves of basil
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
pepper and salt to taste

Method - 

Remove the cheese from the brine and resisting the temptation to pop them into your mouth, cut them into half with a sharp knife. 

Clean the tomatoes and halve them carefully.

In a shallow bowl or plate, arrange the cheese and tomatoes as per your liking. Season it with salt and pepper. Pour the oil and vinegar over it. Sprinkle the basil leaves over the salad. If you have large basil leaves, you can cut them as per the instructions found here

Serve and enjoy!!!

This salad can be enjoyed as an appetizer or if you are cheese lover like me then it can be your main course too!!!

Comments